I know it’s cold in the rest of Canada, but Vancouver has been having a balmy winter! Last weekend, my roommate Nathan and I went up to Squamish for my first/his second climbing day of the 2014 season! In January! This is nuts! I decided to forgo skiing (possibly not the best year to buy a season’s pass…) and enjoy the 10 degree weather. It was lovely climbing and getting back into Squamish.
We climbed 4 different “Squamish 100” cracks and I was equally rusty at all of them. It’s an entirely different type of climbing than the climbing in New Zealand. I even got to try a 5.11c crack called “Crime on the Century” which I was not very good at. It was lots of fun!
Other then that, a general update:
– House: I am living in a house with 4 other people (all working): Nathan, Josh, Leena & Edvin. They are all really nice. I’m not really sure how long I will be staying here because…
– Lauren: Applied for a Working Holiday visa last week and is on the waiting list. He finished his application in 9 minutes and apparently that means about 200ish on the waiting list. I hope they change the system soon. Anyway, he’s still planning on coming in March or April. YAY!
– School: I am taking: Project Management, Management Science, Business Communication, Managerial Economics and International Business. Even though this only adds up to 16 hours of class/week, it is a mad amount of work and I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep up. When you get to upper division business classes, every class has a group project, so I have 5 different team projects with 14 different people that I don’t know. Scheduling nightmare. THANK GOODNESS Scott gave me a smartphone because there a ton of apps that make group projects way more efficient.
It seems like the workload also has kazumpled in my classes, but each component is worth less. Like I have a massive Management Science assignment due next week and it’s only worth 3%? And I have finals that are the size of normal finals but are only 20-30%? I am not used to this. Most Biz classes at SFU are based on rank, not by grade, so I just have to do better than the rest of the students in my class….
I am so thankful for Bell High School English department and Mom and Dad’s pre-preschool Excel training because that takes a load off of two of the classes. I am rocking at my writing class so far!
My schedule is insane. I’ll give you a sample of this week:
- Monday: 9-12 Class in Surrey, 12-1 Transit to Burnaby, 1-2 Int Biz Group Meeting, 2-5 Class in Burnaby
- Tuesday: 8-9:30 Homework, 11-2 Class, 2-5 Homework, 5-6 Class, 6-7 Office Hours, 8-10:30 Int Biz Online Group Meeting
- Wednesday: 8-9 Study, 10-11:30 Proj Mgmt Group Meeting, 11:30-12:30 Rec Meeting, 12:30-1:30 Fitness Class, 2-5 Class, 6-8 Outdoors Club Meeting
- Thursday: 9-11 Work, 12-1:30 Proj Mgmt Group Meeting with Charity & Venue, 4-5 Business Communication Group Meeting, 5-8 Class
- Friday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XaIuw6K6Q
Unfortunately they are starting roadworks at SFU in a few weeks, and that’s going to add on 20-30 minutes on to my commute. Grrr. /rant over
– Work: Luckily, I’ve only been working between 0-4 hours a week and that seems totally okay. I got offered some contracting work with my old non-profit job, but we’re still working on logistics and fitting it in.
– Ontario: I am going to Ontario soon to visit friends/family. I am starting in Kingston and then to Ottawa. I am excited but I have about seven hundred things to do between now and then and while I am there. That’s ok.
Ok that’s all for now. I have done some interesting stuff, but I’ll have to blog about it later.